Dec 14, 2015
Overstreet Builders is one of Chicagoland’s premier custom home builders in the Ashwood Park community in Naperville and the Highland Woods community in Elgin. We are also tear down specialists that will help you tear down an existing home and build a new custom home on your own lot.
Here are a few ideas to help you take the first step in cultivating a sense of community in your new Ashwood Park or Highland Woods neighborhood. Use any of these ideas as a jumping off point to intentionally start conversations with neighbors. Capitalize on the opportunities with the unseasonably warm weather we’re having this winter!
- Go for a walk around the block.
- When you see someone outside, intentionally wave and say hello.
- Walk your dog.
- Take the kids on a walk.
- Visit your neighborhood park.
- Offer to help a neighbor with an outdoor project or chore.
- Be available and visible – set up a chair on the edge of the garage and read a book.
- Introduce yourself to the new neighbors within days of their move in.
- Play catch in the front yard.
- Play Frisbee in the front yard.
- Invite a neighbor over for coffee.
- Plan a block party.
- Invite someone over to watch a ballgame.
- Host a tailgate party in your garage.
- Plan a progressive dinner party within the neighborhood.
- Start a neighborhood book club.
- Initiate “Flamingo Fridays” in the summertime.
- “BOO” neighbors during the month of October.
- Plan a weekly soup night and invite different neighbors each week.
- Invite neighbors over for a bonfire in the backyard.